Search

Google
 

Saturday, October 20, 2007

furthur continued

우리대학

[011] 대학이 운동시설에 투자 * 피로를 품 / social skill #128 체육 필수과목/ 하루 종일 공부 만

People, especially educators, often discuss whether universities should give the same amount of money to their students' sport activities as they give to their university libraries or not. I strongly believe that physical exercise is one of the most essential parts of university because it helps students to alleviate their physical tension and learn a social skill.

Firstly, sports activities encourage university students to ease their daily tension. In Korea, university students have large amount of stress from competition to get high credit in lecture and preparation to get a job, so need to ease their tension through university's sport activities. For example, suppose that a university student who majors in management and prepares to get a stable job has no hope to go school or study hard any more because of his stress. With diverse sports facilities and opportunity of sports games, he is more likely to get rid of his tension and concentrate his study and daily life, because having exercise helps people to alleviate not only their physical tension but also mental stress. This illustrates why active financial support for students' sport activities is needed.

Secondly, sports activities encourage university students to learn a social skill. In the modern society, although a social skill is a vital requirement of a citizen so university students should learn that kind of knowledge before they go into the society, there is seldom-special lecture in university curriculum. Suppose that a group of university students who major in management join in a basketball circle of their university. Even if they are not good at management in their lecture, they are more likely to be good managers, because they learn such social skill as collaboration and readership from basketball game. In this way, it is only through university's financial support that students can learn about a social skill.

All of these things into account, university should give the same amount of money to their students' sport activities as they give to their university libraries for students' health and social skill.

우리대학

[147] 학교기부금 어디에 쓸까? * 도서관 짓기 전문서적 부족 / 공부공간 부족

People, especially university students, often discuss what the best way of spending extra money is. If my school has received money and someone asks me the best way to spend that money, I definitely say that it should spend for building new libraries because there are insufficient technical books and places to study in my school.

Firstly, with its lack of technical books, my school should spend money for building a library. Although my university, Seoul National University, has the most diverse majors in Korea, except for small studies, there is only one library that lacks technical books. For this reason, at the beginning of the term, whenever professors inform students of reference books, those books disappear quickly in the bookshelf, and at the end of the term, I couldn't find books needed for my reports and examinations so should buy them on my own. This illustrates why new libraries is needed for my university.

Secondly, with its lack of places to study, my school should spend money for building a library. As I mentioned above, my school has the largest number of major and students, but it do not have enough place to study. Especially, just before the examination, all seats in every library and study room are full of students most of whom have an exam. Furthermore, even at ordinary times, there is no seat because my school is a 'national' university that should allow every citizen to visit it, so high school students and business men fill seats of the library. Therefore, students of my school strongly need to build a new library.

All of these things into account, if my has received a gift of money, it should build a new library not only for a lot of technical books and reference books but also for lack of seats to study.

우리대학

[167] 학교가 컴퓨터? 도서관 책? * 컴퓨터 더 많은 정보 / 컴퓨터를 배울 수 있음

People, especially university students, often discuss whether their school should purchase either computers or books for its students. If someone asks me, I will definitely choose purchasing computers because it gives students more information and a chance to learn how to use it.

Firstly, by purchasing computers, university students could search information easily. Of course, books in library, especially technical books, play a key role in preparing paper or examination, but in these days, all contents of books can be stored in computers, so university does not need to buy all books. Moreover, my school has the most various majors in Korea, so it is nearly impossible to purchase enough books for all students in the same term. If my university purchases a lot of computers for students rather than books, students would not have to wait books until others return it to library any more, and could easily search essential information needed for their lecture and examination just by using the internet or electronic books. This illustrates why computers are needed in my university.

Secondly, purchasing computers will encourage students to learn how to use computers. As everyone knows, from grocery shopping to the stock market, computers are used in all fields, so knowing how to use computer is an important requirement of a citizen in modern society, but in my university, there are still a lot of students who don’t know it well or do not have their own computers. If my university purchases enough computers, they could learn not only methods of using computers but also how to prepare their presentation and reports with effective programs in computers. In this way, computers will enhance students’ standards of studying and help them prepare to go into the world.

All of these things into accounts, my university can help students to be exposed to various information and have a chance to learn using computers by buying a number of new computers.

경험중시

[004] 경험?/ ? 장단점 비교하기

*많은 지식을 짧은 시간 안에 습득, 경험할 수 없는 것을 경험하게 해줌 *경험 평생 가는 지식 / 가치관을 정립

People, regardless of their job and age, often discuss whether knowledge from books is more important than that from experience or not. I believe that knowledge from experience is more important because it is practical and lasts a long time. Let me compare both approaches and support my opinion.

On the one hand, those who place great emphasis on large amounts of knowledge would like to learn from books. Because people couldn't learn all knowledge needed in their life though first-hand experiences, most of it should be gained from reading: so-called 'second experience'. By reading a book, people could obtain a wide range of information within a short time, so it will be time- and cost-saving. Moreover, just reading technical books that depicts such as outer space or deep sea, they could vividly experience what they will never meet in their whole life time. This illustrates why reading is needed for someone's life.

On the other hand, I think experienced knowledge is more important in that people could obtain practical knowledge that lasts a life time. Of course, knowledge from experience will be limited and insufficient, but what is important is not quantity but quality. Such knowledge as how important family is or how to make a good friendship couldn't be gained from books, and it is only through first experiences that people could realize that kind of life lesson by themselves and establish their own values. In this way, people will gain high quality knowledge though realistic experiences.

All of these things into account, although there are several advantages of knowledge from books, it is still clear for me that knowledge from experience will benefit someone's life.

경험중시

[116] 직접경험 / 독서 / 이야기 듣기 중 머가 좋아? * 직접경험 평생 가는 실용적인 지식 / 가치관을 정립

People, regardless of their job or age, often discuss what the best way of learning, among doing things, reading books, and listening to people talk about things is. I myself prefer to learn by doing things because it gives me a life long lesson and helps me to establish my own value.

Firstly, by doing things directly, I can obtain practical knowledge that will last a life time. Of course, knowledge from first-hand experiences seems to be time- and cost-consuming and insufficient, but it will be practical and last during my life time. In these days, from books about personal relationship to speech about how to be success, there are various kinds of advices about daily life, but I am never interested in them because knowledge from them will easily be forgotten. While challenging a new thing directly and sometimes experiencing a failure, I am likely to obtain practical know-how and valuable life long lessons. This illustrates why first-hand experiences are needed.

Secondly, by doing things directly, I can establish my own value. Of course, I can have a lot of information in a short period of time through books and others’ advices, but it is just other’s opinion, not mine, otherwise first-hand experiences give me knowledge that exactly fits me and help me to make my own perspective. In my case, I should have lived apart from my family for 7 years owing to my university and company far from my town, so this experience made me consider my family to be the most important thing in the world. In this way, it is only through my own experience that I can establish my own sense of value.

All of these things into account, I prefer to learn by doing things that give me incessant life lessens and a chance to make my own value of life.

경험중시

[185] 돈 생기면 집 살래? 사업체 살래? * 안정감 / 스트레스 덜 쌓인다

People sometimes discuss whether to purchase a house or a business if they have enough money. If someone asks me, I definitely choose a house because it would give a sense of stability and be less stressful for me.

Firstly, by having a house, people could have a sense of stability. Having a house means having a incessant place to live and take a rest, so it makes people feel comfortable. In my cases, for example, I study in university far from my parents' house, so have to rent a house near my school. Although it is very convenient, I am not truly comfortable because it is not my own house and sometimes I have to move out of the house suddenly whenever the owner asks me. In this way, people who own their house are likely to have a sense of stability.

Secondly, having a house is less stressful than a business. Of course, those who enjoy challenging new experience and running a company would like to have a business, but in my opinion, it seems to me that having a company is stressful. For instance, suppose that I who don't have enough knowledge about economy and management have a business. Because Korean society is changing quickly and there are a lot of rival companies, I shouldn't lose my tension continuously. Moreover, I would be responsible for all of my employees who work for my company, so under stress ultimately. This illustrates why I choose having a house rather than a business.

All of these things into account, I would choose purchasing a house because it is more stable and less stressful than having my own company. It is clear to me that my own house will benefit me.

자질

[015] 좋은 이웃의 자질 * 존중 / 믿음

People, especially sociologists, often discuss what some important characteristics of a neighbor are. In my opinion, good neighbors respect for and trust in their co-workers. Let me use specific examples to support my opinion.

Firstly, a good neighbor respects for his or her neighborhood. It is a commonly accepted truth that a good relationship between neighbors is based on reciprocal respect because they live in the adjacent place and sometime need to collaborate. For example, let's say that some neighbor who likes classical music sometimes listens to music during at night. Although I don't like that kind of music and prefer calm circumstance without any noise, I should show consideration for my neighbor to establish a smooth relationship. If I respect his or her right, he or she would also protect my right in other way. This illustrates why reciprocal respect is needed in neighborhood.

Secondly, a good neighbor trusts in his or her neighbor. When people are trusted, they could feel happiest. For example, suppose that there is a theft in my neighborhood, and I was there when it happened. Some neighbors would question me about a theft with doubt and others even ask me to come clean about it, but a good neighbor will write an e-mail or letter to me and demonstrate his or her trust in me first, and ask me for some insight into the accident, so I will not be embarrassed or offended. As an old proverb says, "Trust is an emotional glue." deep faith will bind neighborhood.

All of these things into account, trust and respect are the most important requirements of a good neighbor.

자질

[018] 좋은 상사의 자질 * 존중 / 믿음

People, especially co-workers, often discuss what some important qualities of a good supervisor. I strongly believe that requirements of a good supervisor are trust in and respect for his or her employees.

Firstly, a good supervisor trusts his or her employees. As everyone knows, when they are trusted, people feel happiest and work efficiently, so trust from their supervisor helps their tasks to succeed. For example, suppose that there was a theft in my workplace and I was there when it happened. Some supervisors might question me about a theft, or even directly ask me to come clean about it, so I could not work in the company anymore, but a good supervisor would write me an e-mail or note that demonstrates his or her trust in me first, and ask me for some insight into the issue so I will not be embarrassed or offended and don't have to quit my job. As famous proverb says, "Trust is an emotional glue.” trust will bind a supervisor and employees.

Secondly, a good supervisor respects his or her employees. Because co-workers and a supervisor spend most of their time in the same place and sometimes need to collaborate, a good relationship between a supervisor and co-workers is based on mutual respect. For example, suppose that I could concentrate my work only with music so always listen to music during office hour. Although he or she doesn't like my behavior, a good supervisor will show consideration for me to make a comfortable environment and improve my efficiency that is beneficial for company in the long run. In this way, supervisors who show respect in their employees could make their company success.

All of these things into account, requirements of a good supervisor are trust and respect so I strongly believe that they will benefit his or her business.

자질

[022] 좋은 직장동료의 자질 * 존중 / 믿음

People, especially sociologists, often discuss what some important characteristics of a co-worker are. In my opinion, good co-workers respect for and trust in their co-workers. Let me use specific examples to support my opinion.

Firstly, a good co-worker respects for his or her partners. As everyone knows, because they work in the same place and sometime need to collaborate, a good relationship between workmates is based on reciprocal respect. For example, let's say that a co-worker of mine who can concentrate on his task with classical music often listens to music during office hour. Although I don't like that kind of music and prefer calm workplace without any noise, I should show consideration for my co-workers to establish a smooth relationship and atmosphere of my whole workplace. If I respect for their right, they would also protect my right in other way. This illustrates why mutual respect is needed in workplace.

Secondly, a good co-worker trusts in his or her workmates. When people are trusted, they could feel happiest and work together efficiently. For example, suppose that there is a theft in my workplace, and I was there when it happened. Some co-workers would question me about a theft with doubt and others even ask me to come clean about it, but a good co-worker will write an e-mail or letter that demonstrates his or her trust in me first, and asks me for some insight into the accident, so I will not be embarrassed or offended. As an old proverb says, "Trust is an emotional glue." deep faith will bind workmates.

All of these things into account, trust and respect are the most important requirements for a good workmate.

사회

[035] 라이브 공연이 텔레비전으로 보는 것보다 즐거움 찬반 * 텔레비전이 더 재미있다 자세히 볼 수 있다 / 깨끗한 소리효과

People, regardless of their job, often discuss whether attending a live performance is more enjoyable than watching the same event on television or not. I strongly believe that watching the same event on television is more enjoyable because detailed appearance and clear sound.

Firstly, by watching a performance on television, people could enjoy detailed facial expression. Of course, attending a live concert will be exciting in that they can be in the place where the performance happens, but it couldn't show them minute appearance of the performer. For example, when I attended a musical concert of Sting, a famous British singer, although my seat was located in front of the stage, I couldn't see Sting's facial detailed expression as well as his posture. Several days after, by watching the same concert on television, I could finally see his face and behavior through a close-up screen and really enjoy the concert. This illustrates why watching the concert on television is more enjoyable.

Secondly, by watching a performance on television, people could hear clear sound. Surely, there are those who think a live performance gives us more clear sound effect, but actually it is not true. Moreover, in these days, there are a lot of high technologies that help people enjoy the performance at home such as home theater system, so people couldn't need to go theater. For instance, last winter, I go to a large theater to see a popular musical comedy, 'Dr. Jekyl and Mr.hyde'. Even though that theater was one of the best theater of my city, I couldn't hear the actors' words, especially their monolog, because others surrounding me were chatting continuously and even slight noise bothered me. If I saw the same musical at home on television, I wouldn't miss the dialog and could hear all music contained the show. In this way, events on television are more enjoyable.

All of these things into account, people could enjoy the performance more vividly with their television owing to detailed close-up screens and clear sound effect.

사회

[010] 성공은 운과 상관없다 찬/ * 운과 관계 있다 타고난 운 / 인생에서 만날 운

People, regardless of their gob, often discuss whether people succeed because of hard work or not. I strongly believe that success is related with luck because innate luck and unexpected luck clearly play a key role in someone's life.

Firstly, the luck people were born with helps them to succeed. From having higher IQ to having a good-looking face, there are many kind of lucks decide their success. For example, when I was a senior in university, friends of mine, most of whom were good at business and had a lot of licenses, often failed to get a job and eventually entered a small company with low salary because of serious unemployment problem in my country. On the contrary, a friend of mine had a rich parent who ran a large enterprise. Even though her grade in a university was not high and she was clumsy at business, she got a decent job in her parents' company and even promoted fast. This illustrates how destined luck influences someone's success.

Secondly, the luck, which people confront in their lives, also plays a primary role in their success. Unexpected luck such as meeting a nice person, having a good circumstance, and meeting special social current could cause someone's success. For instance, my father played the market last year and earned large amounts of money from stock market. Although he didn't have enough knowledge of stock and invested small amount of money in stock, he could make a fortune because entire business improved and companies he invested suddenly grew up at that time. It is only through luck that could explain his success.

All of these things into account, luck which people are born with and encounter in their life is definitely related with their success.

사회

[162] 유명인들 높은 연봉 자격 있다 * 있다 – hard work / 광고 효과 수익

People often discuss whether some famous athletes and entertainers who earn a million of dollars every year deserve such high salaries or not. I strongly believe that they deserve such high salaries because of their hard work and effective advertising.

Firstly, some well-known sports players have attained the current status and expertise with continuous hard work. Of course, some stars happened to make a fortune, but most athletes have achieved their stardom with incessant hard work. Among many sports stars, Tiger Woods is a good example. He was a golf prodigy who devoted his whole childhood to practicing golf and is still committed to golf. Such an extraordinary commitment makes people his high salary and success for granted, and I agree that his high incomes are the award for his exceptional industry and sacrifices. In this way, hard work some celebrated athletes display makes their current status reasonable.

Secondly, movie stars have produced enormously effective advertising. As everyone knows, financial impact of some movie stars is incredible. One movie star, Liv Tyler who played an angel in the movie, ‘The Lord of the Rings’, stars in the advertising campaign for Givenchy's new fragrance. Her image, which matches Givenchy's concept, has made a great hit and earned Givenchy a large amount of profit. If she had not appeared in the Givenchy advertisement, Givenchy's new fragrance could not have been as successful. This illustrates why some movies stars are worthy of their high incomes every year.

All of these things into account, we should give approval to the high salaries of some celebrated athletes and entertainers who make a blood-and-tears endeavors and make a contribution to business profits.

사회

[012] 새로운 곳에 여행할 때 박물관 가는 이유 * 짧은 시간 안에 역사를 이해 / 많은 정보를 쉽게 이해

People, especially travelers, often discuss why people visit museums during their trip. I believe that there are two major reasons of visiting museums: learning history of another country in a short period and obtaining much information easily.

Firstly, people visit museums in order to understand their history in a short period. From food to clothes, there are many kinds of cultural characteristics of each country, and as everyone knows, history is a mirror that reflects the present and the future, so shortly, understanding their history means knowing their culture in the present. For example, suppose that I am traveling to China and I don't understand their life style and diverse races at first. However, by visiting Chinese historical museum, I could learn their history: how many races live in China and what historical changes they have suffered such as communism, and understand their cultural diversity in a short time. This illustrates why most people visit museum when they travel to new places.

Secondly, people visit museums in order to obtain much information easily. Of course, people could read books before they travel, but it is too difficult for ordinary people to understand such professional terms. For example, suppose that I travel to Osaka, Japan, and visit the Osaka museum. With various materials; pictures of three-dimensions of Samurai, video data depicting society of Samurai, and material relics such as guns and knives they used, I am more likely to learn their history easily than I would be while just reading books, because they explain it in an easy and simple way. In this way, I could easily learn their culture through museum's materials.

All of these things into account, visiting museums helps people who travel other countries to understand their history and culture in a short period and to obtain a lot of information easily.

사회

[109] 외국 갔을 때 그 지역 전통 따를까 말까 비교 : 안 따르면 문화적 정체성을 지킬 수 있다. / 따르면 잘 적응하고 많은걸 배운다

People, regardless of their job, often discuss whether those who move to another country should follow the customs of the new country or not. I myself prefer to follow the new customs because of adapting new environment as soon as possible and learning more knowledge. Let me compare both choices and support my preference.

On the one hand, those who place a great emphasis on keeping their own customs will not follow the new methods. Of course, keeping their own custom in another country might be time and cost consuming, but they could reserve their own identity and personality. For example, after the Korea War in the 1950th, large numbers of Korean migrated to the U.S or Europe and settles there. Among their children and even children's children who live there nowadays, those whose parents completely followed the new life style are suffering from the confusion of their own identities because they are neither American nor Korean. This illustrates why sustaining their own custom in other countries is needed.

On the other hand, I myself prefer to follow the custom of new country for quick adaptation and new knowledge. Surely, it seems that I abandon my own identity, but the identity is what always changes according to the circumstance. For instance, suppose that I go to the U.S to study my major and follow their custom. While I eat in the Western style restaurant with my American peers and see the most popular television program, I can make new friendships and be helped by them, so am more likely to adjust the new environment and learn from it than I would be while keeping my country's custom. In this way, I can take more practical advantages by following their culture.

All these things into account, although there are several advantages of keeping my own custom, it is clear to me that adjusting the new customs will benefit my life in the new country.

No comments:

xrox

Analytics